The Scandinavian Inn focuses on a simple approach to comfort, and continually seeks new ways to operate in an environmentally-sensitive manner and minimize our footprint on the planet. For example, you will not find excessively-packaged items at our inn. Our lawn care does not harm wildlife, neighborhood pets, or Lanesboro’s children, nor does it contribute to chemical run-off into the Root River. Steps taken to date include those listed below:
- Run local errands by bicycle or by foot
- Operate an energy-efficient geothermal heating/cooling system
- Purchase organic produce at cooperatives and our Farmer’s Market, using regionally-grown items when available
- Serve free-range meats and eggs, locally raised as available
- Use local milk bottled right on the farm
- Provide cloth napkins at breakfast
- Brew shade-grown, fair market coffees
- Line-dry towels and linens outdoors when the weather permits
- Apply no synthetic lawn chemicals (we have used corn gluten)
- Mow using a non-motorized reel lawnmower and shovel snow by hand
- Provide vegetable-based bath soaps
- Use environmentally-friendly detergents and cleaning products
- Purchase wind-generated power
- Avoid over-use of air conditioning.
We recognize the need to provide comfort to our guests — our bedrooms have air conditioning. But we like to give open windows, fans, and natural ventilation a chance first.
When we contemplate changes, we always ask ourselves, “Is this change moving us closer or farther from our environmentally-sensitive goals?” It’s an ever-evolving effort, and we welcome suggestions from our guests.