The Scandinavian Inn focuses on a simple approach to comfort, and continually seeks new ways to operate in an environmentally-sensitive manner and minimize our footprint on the planet. Steps taken to date include those listed below:
We recognize the need to provide comfort to our guests -- our bedrooms have air conditioning. But we like to give open windows, fans, and natural ventilation a chance first.
- Operate an energy-efficient geothermal heating/cooling system
- Purchase organic produce at cooperatives and our Farmer's Market, using regionally-grown items when available
- Serve free-range meats and eggs, locally raised as available
- Provide cloth napkins at breakfast
- Brew shade-grown, fair market coffees
- Line-dry towels and linens outdoors when the weather permits
- Apply no synthetic lawn chemicals
- Mow using a non-motorized reel lawnmower and shovel snow by hand
- Provide vegetable-based bath soaps
- Use environmentally-friendly detergents and cleaning products.
- Do not over-use air conditioning.
When we contemplate changes, we always ask ourselves, "Is this change moving us closer or farther from our environmentally-sensitive goals?" It's an ever-evolving effort, and we welcome suggestions from our guests.