COVID-19 Preparedness Plan for the Scandinavian Inn
Updated May 28, 2021
The Scandinavian Inn is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for all our staff. To ensure that, we have developed the following Preparedness Plan in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Managers (Vicki and Peter) and staff are all responsible for implementing this plan. Our goal is to mitigate the potential for transmission of COVID-19 in our workplaces, and that requires full cooperation among staff and management. Only through this cooperative effort can we establish and maintain the safety and health of our staff and workplaces.
Management and staff are responsible for implementing and complying with all aspects of this Preparedness Plan.
Our staff are our most important assets. We are serious about safety and health and keeping our staff working at the Scandinavian Inn. Staff involvement is essential in developing and implementing a successful COVID-19 Preparedness Plan. We have involved our staff in this process by reviewing the plan with our staff, solicited their feedback, and incorporated their suggestions as much as possible. Our Preparedness Plan is based on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) guidelines and federal OSHA standards related to COVID-19 and addresses:
• hygiene and respiratory etiquette;
• engineering and administrative controls for social distancing;
• housekeeping – cleaning, disinfecting and decontamination;
• prompt identification and isolation of sick persons;
• communications and training that will be provided to managers and staff; and
• management and supervision necessary to ensure effective implementation of the plan.
Screening and policies for employees exhibiting signs and symptoms of COVID-19
Staff have been informed of and encouraged to self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19. The following policies and procedures are being implemented to assess staff health status prior to entering the workplace and for staff to report when they are sick or experiencing symptoms.
- Staff will self-assess their health prior to coming to work. People with these symptoms or combinations of symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Or at least two of these symptoms:
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Staff experiencing COVID-19 symptoms must not come to work. Call 507-467-4500 to report your status. DO NOT TEXT – we do not routinely check them.
- Staff experiencing COVID-19 symptoms while at the workplace must contact a Manager immediately and must return home or be isolated until they can be sent home.
- The second floor staff bathroom has a poster of these symptoms
The Scandinavian Inn has also implemented a policy for informing staff if they have been exposed to a person with COVID-19 at their workplace and requiring them to quarantine for the required amount of time.
- Management will contact staff in person or by phone to inform them that they have been exposed to a person with COVID-19.
- Staff are not allowed to return to work until 14 days following their last exposure.
- To protect yourself, your family, and your community, you must separate yourself from others and watch yourself for symptoms such as fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, headache, muscle pain, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell. Follow these instructions for at least 14 days after the last day you were in close contact with the person who has COVID-19.
In addition, a policy has been implemented to protect the privacy of staff health status and health information.
- Under HIPAA, the Scandinavian Inn can ask an employee for a doctor’s note related to sick leave, workers compensation, wellness programs or health insurance.
- Without the employee’s prior consent, the Scandinavian Inn will not disclose employee health information with people who do not legally need to know that information.
Basic infection prevention measures are being implemented at our workplaces at all times. Staff are instructed to wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water frequently throughout the day, but especially at the beginning and end of their shift, prior to any mealtimes and after using the toilet.
- Staff must wash their hands thoroughly using soap and water, and dry them with a paper towel, at these times:
- Immediately upon arrival at the Scandinavian Inn
- Immediately after cleaning a room
- Immediately after changing out of PPE
- Immediately before the handling of food, clean dishes, and clean laundry
- Prior to eating during break time
- Immediately after using a toilet
- Immediately before leaving at the end of a work shift
- Staff are encouraged to use hand sanitizer as they feel the need
- Soap, water, hand sanitizer, and paper towels are available near sinks at:
- The second floor staff bathroom
- The Butler’s pantry
- The kitchen
- As soon as possible, staff must inform a Manager if any of the above locations are missing the listed supplies. Staff must immediately replace missing supplies, as possible.
- For guests, hand washing is available in our Butler’s Pantry as well as in their individual bathrooms
- For guests, hand sanitizer is available:
- On the front porch/foyer, near the front door
- In the bathroom of each guest room
- In the Butler’s pantry
- On top of the second floor refrigerator
These hand-sanitizer dispensers (that use sanitizers of greater than 60% alcohol) can be used for hand hygiene in place of soap and water, as long as hands are not visibly soiled. We prefer hand washing.
Respiratory etiquette: Cover your cough or sneeze
Staff and visitors are being instructed to cover their mouth and nose with their sleeve or a tissue when coughing or sneezing and to avoid touching their face, in particular their mouth, nose and eyes, with their hands. They should dispose of tissues in the trash and wash or sanitize their hands immediately afterward. Respiratory etiquette will be demonstrated on posters and supported by making tissues and trash receptacles available to all staff and visitors.
- Regarding coughing and sneezing, staff are instructed to
- cover their mouth and nose with their sleeve or a tissue
- and to avoid touching their face, in particular their mouth, nose and eyes, with their hands
- dispose of tissues in the trash
- wash or sanitize their hands immediately afterward
- Tissues and waste receptacles are available in the kitchen, Turret Room, second floor staff bathroom, third floor common area, and Foyer
- Upon arrival, guests will be informed that we are operating under a Covid-19 Preparedness Plan. Regarding coughing and sneezing, we will instruct them to
- cover their mouth and nose with their sleeve or a tissue
- avoid touching their face, in particular their mouth, nose and eyes, with their hands
- dispose of tissues in the trash after a single use
- wash or sanitize their hands immediately afterward
- Tissues and waste receptacles are available in all guest rooms, Turret Room, third floor common area, Butler’s Pantry, and Foyer
Social distancing is being implemented in the workplace through the following engineering and administrative controls:
- To the extent possible, only one staff will be assigned to a work shift
- If not fully vaccinated, staff will be given assignments that keep them separated from other people
- Social distancing signs are posted the staff bathroom
- Staff may be asked to provide their own lunch
- When social distancing is not being maintained among unvaccinated staff, staff are required to bring it to a Manager’s attention
- When possible, staff will report hours worked to a Manager, and the Manager will enter it into their timesheet
- The Scandinavian Inn operation has been temporarily downsized from 5 guest rooms to 3 rooms to provide proper distancing
- Each guest room has areas of the facility designated for exclusive use of that guest room, both indoor and out
- The parlor, living room, dining room, and other former common areas are unavailable for general guest use. (These areas may be assigned for individual guest room use.)
- The Butler’s pantry is open for coffee- and tea-making, with signage instructing proper sanitation. The Butler’s pantry also makes available cups, plates, bowls, and utensils, with signage instructing proper sanitation.
- Other than overnight guests, visitors are not allowed entry into the facility without an escort. We may allow visitors to stand inside entryways, within a couple of feet of the exit door. Exceptions are service people (plumbers, electricians, etc.) to the extent needed, and those people will be asked to wear facemasks and maintain social distancing.
Regular housekeeping practices are being implemented, including routine cleaning of work surfaces, equipment, tools and machinery, and areas in the work environment, including restrooms, break rooms, lunch rooms and meeting rooms.
- The Scandinavian Inn operation has been temporarily downsized from 5 guest rooms to 3, to provide more opportunity for proper social distancing
- Staff working indoors must carry a facemask with them at all times when guests are in the facility. If guests are in the building, wear the facemask in all common areas.
- Staff are not allowed to clean the facility until a Manager has reviewed the steps below with them
- Staff shall avoid interacting with visitors. If avoiding interaction is not possible, maintain social distancing and wear a facemask. Report any guest interactions with a Manager.
- For easier cleaning and disinfecting, guest rooms may have had items such as pens, notepads, rugs, magazines, and decorative pillows removed
- Consistent with our environmentally-sensitive operation, Managers will strive to provide environmentally safe cleaners for staff and visitor use.
For Staff – Room Cleaning
- When entering and cleaning a guest room, unvaccinated staff must be wearing wear scrubs (or equivalent) and gloves
- When passing through common areas when guests are in the building, staff must wear a facemask
- Staff may clean pursuant to the cleaning instructions in place prior to the COVID19 pandemic
- To avoid spreading potential virus, bedding must not be shaken, but bundled and taken to the laundry room
- When emptying trash
- DO NOT directly touch the trash.
- DO NOT attempt to remove recyclables from the trash
- Replace waste basket liners, as directed (these may be repurposed plastic bags)
- Immediately following the cleaning of guest rooms, unvaccinated staff must sequentially remove gloves and scrubs and place gloves in trash and scrubs in the laundry. Wash hands thoroughly.
For Staff – Facility Cleaning (other than guest rooms)
- Empty all wastebaskets, replace liner as directed
- Vacuum and dust when guests are not nearby
For Staff – Kitchen work
- Staff must wear an apron when performing kitchen work
- If unvaccinated are present in the same room, facemasks must be worn
- Place leftover butter in a refrigerator dish labeled “For cooking only”
- Place leftover preserves in dated jars
Communications and training
This Preparedness Plan was communicated to all staff prior to their assuming cleaning duties during the COVID-19 pandemic, and necessary training was provided. Additional communication and training will be ongoing and provided to all staff who did not receive the initial training. Managers are to monitor how effective the program has been implemented by regularly soliciting their feedback. This Preparedness Plan has been certified by the Scandinavian Inn management and was posted throughout the workplace. It will be updated as necessary.
- Managers must provide each staff member with a copy of this COVID-19 Preparedness Plan
- Managers will keep a copy of this Plan in the staff bathroom
- Before a staff member assumes housekeeping tasks at the Scandinavian Inn during the COVID-19 pandemic, a Manager must review the Plan with that staff member
- As a component of the Plan review, a Manager must demonstrate items and techniques used in implementing the Plan
- A Manager must record the date of the review on the staff member’s timesheet
- Any time the Plan is consequentially revised, a Manager must update staff members with the change
- Managers will routinely consult with staff to assess the effectiveness of the Plan
Owner, Scandinavian Inn